Thank you for your interest in BB&T Gate City Half Marathon and 8K. Supporting the race helps to support the community and our affiliated non-profits.
This event is owned by Foster Friends of North Carolina (FFNC). Since its beginning in 2005, Foster Friends of NC has:
- Awarded over $70,000 for enrichment activities & services for youth that are not covered by North Carolina’s foster system. Awards included YMCA memberships, camps, yearbooks, school photos, school trips, scouting, team sports, musical instruments, class rings, prom dresses and graduation expenses.
- With support from the Junior League of Greensboro, hosted Reflections of the Heart Art & Essay Workshop & Awards Luncheon in 2007 to honor nearly 40 children who shared their life experiences through essays and art and helped raise awareness for their needs within our community. Over $2,000 in cash awards were provided along with free art & writing supplies.
- Hosted author and foster care survivor Ashley Rhodes-Courter to Greensboro to commemorate Foster Care Awareness Month in May 2007. Rhodes-Courter’s memoir Three Little Words is a Barnes & Noble Discovery Author award winner.
- Hosted Back to School parties in 2007 and 2008 with help from the Grateful Hearts that yielded over 500 backpacks filled with school supplies. This year’s event was hosted by Bounce U.
- Provided DSS nearly 300 personal care kits, donated by the Newcomers Club of Greensboro, for use by youth entering foster care or relocating to a new home.
- Offered special opportunities for JOURNEYS© Mentees to attend live theatre and sporting events, see the circus, visit art shows & the NC Zoo,as well as participate in ongoing life-skills & leadership training with their Adult Mentors.
To learn more about FFNC visit us online